16 Cool Things You Can Do With Google Plus

by Rick on March 15, 2012

Even though it is relatively new, I am sure that most of you will have heard of Google’s new social media platform Google+. If you haven’t then you need to get out from under that rock.

In today’s post we’re taking a quick look at 16 cool things you can be doing with Google Plus. First is a short video I created for you followed by a little more explanation about the 16 cool things. Enjoy!

1. Invite your friends

Google+ allows you to invite friends via email or via a link, you can send up to a maximum of 150 invites per user.

2. Use the G+1 button to share content from the web

The G+1 button is Google’s answer to the Facebook Like button and has proved to be a huge hit since its release. You can share your favorite content from the web using the G+1 button installed on many websites.

3. Make your profile visible in search

Make it easier for others to find you by ensuring your profile visible in search, which in turn can bring your more connections.

4. Organize your connections in separate Google+ Circles

Organize your friends, families and business connections in separate circles.  This is a unique feature in Google Plus giving you total control over what you share to whom.

5. Create a new photo album

Create a new photo album using uploaded images from your computer, your phone or even your iPad.

6. Automatically upload photos via your mobile

Download the Google + app on your Smartphone and set the settings to automatically upload photos to your private vault in your Google Plus account. You can then choose what photo’s to share with whom.  Have fun with this.

7. Manage your photos in scrapbook

Scrapbook is a unique way of showing off your latest photos in a clean, clutter free manner.

8. Update your tagline

Taglines are great for making others quickly aware of what it is you do and this is a great opportunity to use the tagline in your profile to give your profile a short description.

9. Upload a video using instant upload via your Android phone

If you love shooting videos on your Android phone then you can use the app (Affiliate link) for your smartphone to instantly upload videos to your Google Plus account, then edit and share it when ever you want to whom ever you want.

10. Search people to chat with

Feeling chatty, then search for people in your circles to chat with.

11. Share a link

You can use your stream to share any of your favorite links with your connections or certain circles.

12. Add your location in stream

You can use your stream to add the location of where you are.

13. Send an email to one of your connections

Need to contact just one connection, you can send and email using the ‘send email’ link located under your contact’s profile photo.

14. Change your profile photo

Tired of your old profile photo? Then just change it…now.

15. Start a debate

Got an opinion?  Or ask what others are doing over the weekend and share your thoughts and arguments with others, start a debate in your stream.

16. Start a Hangout

Hangout is one of Google Pluses innovative features which allow you to have a multi-user live video conversation.  This is a great way to organize what’s happening over weekend or planning to meet. I think businesses will even find this feature very useful in time.

There you have it, 16 cool and fun things you can do with your Google Plus account. If you have any other things you like to do with your Google + account, please feel free to add them in the comments section below.

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

Dee Ankary March 16, 2012 at 3:35 am

Hi Rick,

I find G+ to be kind of a cross between Facebook and Twitter. Can’t say I have seen much traction beyond the tech and music crowd – the hangout feature is a major hit with people sharing their music live.

A great list – must really get myself over to G+ and start to use it in my marketing …

Have a great weekend.

Dee
Dee Ankary recently posted..The Secret Of A Successful BlueprintMy Profile

Barry Wells March 16, 2012 at 6:15 am

Hi Rick,

You’ve certainly covered some great tips here. I think Google Plus is growing faster than Facebook as there’s so much you can do with it. I love the hangout feature and think it’ll open doors for so many people, customer support, one on one teaching, demonstrations etc.

I learnt some new tricks from Allie last week (part of the challenge) where we can beef up how we use it. Together with your tips here we’ll all be making the most of our time on G+.

Thanks Rick, I’ve now added your details to the challenge page on my blog :)

Have a great weekend Rick,
Barry
Barry Wells recently posted..Using Free Software To Record Your PowerPoint PresentationsMy Profile

Rick March 16, 2012 at 12:49 pm

@Dee Ankary,

Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

The hangout is really cool. And yes, you should starting using G+ in your own marketing.

I think that G+ is only going to continue to grow. I do not know if it will ever overtake Facebook because there are so many anti-Google people out there but it is still worth using it for marketing purposes.

Take care!

Rick March 16, 2012 at 12:52 pm

@Barry Wells,

Google + is definitely growing but I do not know if it will ever overtake Facebook. But you never know, people may get tired of Facebook. I do like the additional features that G+ offers over Facebook.

Speak soon!

les March 19, 2012 at 6:14 am

Thank you for some very good tips, google + is very handy addition to my website.

sticker printing March 20, 2012 at 2:36 am

Google Plus functions just like Facebook. I wonder if there are remarkable differences. Just curious though, what are the advantages of using Google+ over Facebook if ever there’s any?

Rick March 20, 2012 at 9:24 pm

@les,

I’m glad you enjoyed the tips. I tried to do something different with the video but I’m not sure if I truly like it.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick March 20, 2012 at 9:39 pm

@sticker printing,

Thanks for stopping by. Yes, there are advantages of using Google+. The biggest distinguishing feathure with Google+ is the feature called “Hangouts” that offers users a way to join group video chats. Picture a chat room, but with video: Any user can create a Hangout, which is then open to others to join. Users can send messages during the Hangout, as well as watch YouTube videos as a group. I could see businesses using this feature in the future. Facebook does offer a similar feature but it is not as robust as G+ Hangouts.

Also, with G+ you can keep your Social Circles secret. With Google+ you can sort your friends, acquaintances and other contacts into Circles, and no one else knows how they’ve been grouped.

There is no reason why you can’t use both but it will be time consuming.

It will be interesting to see how both of the Social Media sites duke it out over the next several years.

I hope this helps.

Troy Christopher March 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Do you know if any of the things you do on Google+ have SEO benefits? We were talking about this in one of my business management classes at Kendall College and I was wondering what the general consensus was.

Rick March 22, 2012 at 10:08 am

@Troy Christopher,

Thanks for stopping by. You bring up a really good question.

I have researched G+ for a while and honestly the information I have read goes both ways. Some people believe that it does not have any SEO benefit and some people believe that it does offer some SEO benefit.

After it’s introduction, Google did announce that the “plus one” button will enhance websites’ rankings.

There were also some results that showed the +1 button caused longer website load times thus hurting Google rankings/

The bottom line is, the SEO effects of G+ are very indirect, at least for now. I will continue to use it but I will also continue to use traditional SEO practices.

Sorry I can not give you a more definitive answer.

Take care and good luck with school.

Taylor March 23, 2012 at 2:06 am

Item number four is the best thing for me about Google Plus. This makes it almost impossible to share something to the wrong group or people in your circles.
Taylor recently posted..ballroom dance lesson dvdMy Profile

website designers March 23, 2012 at 6:06 am

Google + being one of the best platform for those who want to be social but still there remains lot more in terms of features to be added to Google +. Facebook is way ahead of them and even Google + may be used by those who has their gmail login but when it comes to Facebook all those either with gmail, yahoo and so on can be found. These may be the reason facebook seems to be more successful than Google +
website designers recently posted..Business Cards5My Profile

Rick March 23, 2012 at 9:52 am

@Taylor,

It can be very embarrassing to share something with the wrong people. I know because I have does this on a couple of occasions, unfortunately.

Taylor, thanks for stopping by and sharing.

Rick March 23, 2012 at 9:55 am

@website designers,

While I agree that Facebook has a lot more features but not all of those features are that useful, especially for Marketers.

I think Facebook is currently more successful than G+ because it has been around a lot longer. I don’t know if G+ will ever overtake Facebook but it will be interesting to watch.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

Carol March 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Found this post interesting! I’ll be pinning this on pinterest today!
Carol recently posted..Life is Supposed to Be Easy Not HardMy Profile

Neal Stewart March 26, 2012 at 12:45 am

I haven’t ever used Facebook as part of my social marketing strategy, but it sounds like using google+ might be useful and more-so than facebook.
Neal Stewart recently posted..Ipad 2 AccesoriesMy Profile

Rick March 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

@Neal Stewart,

You should definitely give G+ a try. The best thing to do is play around with it and see what works for you personally.

Liza March 27, 2012 at 4:10 am

Great Article really helpful, . Look beyond Google is a great tip. Thanks.
Liza recently posted..Cable View OnlineMy Profile

Rick March 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm

@Liza,

I’m glad you enjoyed the information. Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew March 30, 2012 at 7:08 am

very interesting post thank you for sharing it, someone told me that one day Google+ will take over Facebook but i find that hard to believe ,but we will never know.Great post
Andrew recently posted..What is Data Cleaning?My Profile

Rick April 4, 2012 at 11:35 pm

@Andrew,

It is hard to say if G+ will over take Facebook but there were some that never thought Facebook would overtake MySpace.

It will be interesting to see how each of them will respond to each other and grow over the years.

Take care!

stack stone April 17, 2012 at 4:05 am

I couldn’t find an answer anywhere in google plus but I remember seeing a friend say they were out of invites.

Rick April 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm

@stack stone,

Great question! I’m not sure if you still need an invitation. I’ll have to check and see.

Leonard Evenson April 25, 2012 at 8:44 am

Firstly, your video is great, straight to the point and clear, I really enjoyed it! Secondly, I am impressed how Google+ evolved and improved its services. I think it is a great platform for a business presence, even though I don’t like it for my private affairs because it is still a bit overcrowded with advertizements and it doesn’t offer full control over who adds you to their circles. I’ve heard it will gain more importance in Google’s page ranking procedure.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this matter!
Best regards,
Leonard

Rick April 25, 2012 at 8:48 am

@Leonard Evenson,

Thanks for stopping by. I can understand your hesitation about using it for your private affairs but I do know that it will help with your page ranking. I agree with you and do beleive that many businesses can benefit from using it.

Take care!

Facilitation techniques May 4, 2012 at 5:21 am

I am attempting to get in the Google+ website, but apparently I need an special invitation. Does anyone know how to get a free google plus special invitation?

Rick May 9, 2012 at 3:03 pm

@Facilitation techniques

If you still need an invite, I just sent you one.

Good Luck!

SEO Services October 16, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Google Plus was launched early last year and it is said to match up against the Facebook. it was a great help to a lot of marketers because you can do a lot of customization which will help you establish brand awareness and build online presence.
SEO Services recently posted..3 Quick Ways to Rank for Five Times More KeywordsMy Profile